Tying the knot in Goa? Here are the must comply legal requisites

legal paperwork

For foreigners planning their big day in Goa you must be first aware that the process  takes a minimum of 60-70 days; lengthy as it is, there is no other way around it. Goa has its own Civil Code that differs from the rest of the country.

The  Indian laws follow the Special Marriage Act of 1954 that governs civil marriages in the country.  Either the bride or the groom needs to be in residing in the country for a minimum of 30 days prior to making an application to the local civil registrar office for getting married. The local police authorities will provide you with a certificate confirming your period of stay.

The paperwork at the Civil Registrars office begins with an application stating your intention to tie the know in the state along with supporting documents which are the residency certification, copies of your passports and birth certificates that have been certified along with a set of passport sized photographs. The couple need not be present in person to submit these documents, however, either one being present is a must. A residency certificate from the municipal authorities confirming your period of stay must be attached as well.  You will also require to file for a provisional marriage certificate that is issued by the local court permitting the civil signings, this requires the couple to be present along with 4 witnesses.  On issuance of the certificate, the Civil Authorities will issue a Public Notice calling for objections if any for a 10 day period.

Additionally you must provide documents that meet eligibility criteria’s for acceptance by the Department. For those who haven’t been previously married, you would require to provide a Single Staus Affidavit if you are an American Citizen. For nationals from the United Kingdom a Certificate No Of Impediment and for an Australian citizen you would need a Certificate of No Record. For those that  been previously married and are now divorced, the Decree Absolute will have to be provided and if you are widowed you should have a copy of the death certificate of your previous spouse.

The department then processes these documents and calls for a civil ceremony date when no objections are received within the period of 30 days of filing the paperwork.

For Catholic marriages, the Church also requires the couple to furnish a ‘No Objection Certificate’ from the local Parish mentioning his consent and permitting you to get married at a church.  Additionally, you must also provide certificates confirming your Baptism, Confirmation along with a letter of intent to tie the knot here. You are also required to complete a marriage counseling course either in local parish here or from your own country. You would also  require legal licences if  you are planning a beach ceremony.It is highly recommended you reach a professional who is familiar with the process. WW-Events has a skilled set of resources that can coordinate for this documentation on your behalf.